What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Alabama Power Bill
Alabama Power is an electric company servicing more than 1.4 million homes. Servicing two-thirds of southern Alabama, Alabama Power is one of the largest electric companies in the entire United States. The service provided by Alabama Power includes industries, businesses and residential homes.
How to Pay the Bill
Alabama Power offers customers five convenient ways to pay their bills.
Pay online: If you want to pay your Alabama Power bill online, visit https://customerservice.southerncompany.com/NonSecure/LoginFrames.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fPmt. Customers can either log into the official site with their password or log-in without their password. Logging in without a password requires the customer to enter their account number with their subsequent access code.
Credit card payments: Customers wanting to pay their bill with a credit card can do so through BillMatrix. This third-party company is not an affiliate of Alabama Power or the parent company Southern Company. BillMatrix charges customers a $3.60 service fee per payment. Customers submit payments via phone or online and must have a debit/credit card. The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The phone number is 1-800-835-2702.
Auto pay: Customers wishing to utilize the auto pay feature must first sign-up for the free service online. The customer’s bill is deducted from the appropriate account on a monthly basis. A paper copy is sent to you with the date the funds are deducted from your account.
Pay in person: Customers of Alabama Power can pay their bills at various locations. Payment locations are available on the Alabama Power website.
Pay by mail: The mailing address for Alabama Power is:
Alabama Power Payments
P.O. Box 242
Birmingham, Alabama 35292
Questions About Your Statement or Account?
If you have questions about fees on your statement such as bill pay service fees, connection fees or deposits for new service, we recommend you review their Customer Care FAQ page. The residential customer service phone number is 1-800-245-2244.
How the Penalty Fees Work
Alabama Power charges the following fees:
- Returned check charge: $20 per occurrence
- Late or delinquent fee: 1.5% of the total bill amount or $2, whichever is greater, per occurrence
- Collection charge: $10 per occurrence
- Reconnection fee: $50 if the customer’s service is restored during regular business hours and $75 if the customer’s service is restored outside of normal business hours.
I Can’t Make a Payment
Alabama Power is not known as the friendliest in the area of customer service. When we called the customer service number, we waited approximately 30 minutes before deciding to hang up the phone. The information pertaining to bill payment assistance is available, but the complaints told a different story of representatives from Alabama Power not wanting to work with customers to resolve their delinquent balances.
- Payment arrangement: Customers must log into the official site in order to submit a payment arrangement form to Alabama Power. If you need immediate assistance, call customer service at 1-800-835-2702.
- LIHEAP: Customers have the ability to apply for federal assistance in order to pay your Alabama Power bill. How to qualify for energy assistance with LIHEAP? You will need to call customer service or visit the LIHEAP website. In order to qualify, you will need to meet financial requirements.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
We want to hear from you. Did Alabama Power work with you in paying your past due bill?