What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your British Gas Bill
British Gas is a natural gas company that currently provides service to millions of customers in England, Wales and Scotland. The company is committed to provides services at the lowest cost and the highest levels of customer service.
How to Pay the Bill
Providing quick, easy and convenient payment methods is a goal of British Gas. The company wants to provide multiple options for you to pay your bill. The available options include:
Pay online: Customers can pay your British Gas bill online by visiting https://www.britishgas.co.uk/Make-A-Payment/Personnel-Details-Entry/. You can make a payment using your credit or debit card. British Gas offers a 14% discount when making online bill payments.
Automatic deduction: A convenient way to not miss a payment and reduce late payment charges is to have your British Gas bill payment deducted from your checking or savings account. Using this service saves customers approximately £67 per year.
Wire transfer: You have the ability to transfer you British Gas bill payment electronically from your bank. You will need the sort code (40-05-30) and the account number (71584685).
Pay by mail: You can send your British Gas bill payment to the following location:
Payment Area 55
Camberley GU95 1AB
Third-party locations: Customers can pay your British Gas bill at the following third-party locations:
- Post Office
Payment card: British Gas gives you the option to utilize a payment card to pay your bill. The company takes into account your average monthly bill and divides into 12. This is the amount you pay each month.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
When you receive your monthly British Gas billing statement or account, do you understand all of the service charges or fees? If you need you billing statement or account explained to you, we suggest you review the British Gas Customer Care page. You can also contact a customer service representative at 0800-048-0202 for additional information.
How the Penalty Fees Work
British Gas charges the following fees on a monthly and one-time basis:
- Security deposit – This amount varies depending on the credit history of the customer.
- Service call – In the event a representative from British Gas visits your residence to collect a past due bill, the company charges you a £50 fee.
- Disconnection – British Gas charges customers up to £335 when service is disconnected.
- Disconnection (second notice) – In the event your bill remains unpaid, British Gas will charge you an additional £361.
I Can’t Make a Payment
In the event you are facing a financial hardship, British Gas provides several services designed to help you pay your bill.
- Payment arrangement – You will need to contact customer service at 0800-048-0404 prior to receiving a disconnection notice. The customer service representative will divide your bill into payments that fit your budget. This program requires you meet certain income and financial criteria.
- Payment extension – Contact customer service to discuss a payment extension. The company allows you to extend the date of your payment up to one month.
- Direct deduction – If you receive a pension or government assistance, British Gas can deduct your monthly bill payment from your check.
- Third-party organizations – British Gas provides third-party programs that help customers pay your bill, including, Turn2Us, Consumer Direct, British Gas Energy Trust and National Debt Line.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
At times you may face a financial crisis and can’t pay your bill. Did British Gas stand behind you and help you pay your bill or did the company leave you out in the cold? We want to hear from customers just like you. Share your thoughts and leave us a comment below.