What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Central Hudson Bill
Central Hudson was started by three men in the early 20th century and provided service to approximately 5,000 customers in the Newburgh, New York area. Today, the Central Hudson gas company services more than 375,000 electric and natural gas customers in the Mid-Hudson River Valley.
How to Pay the Bill
Pay online: Customers can pay your Central Hudson bill online by visiting https://inet.cenhud.com/CustomerServicePortal/Userid/UserLogin.aspx . There is a convenience fee associated with paying your Central Hudson bill online using a credit card or a debit card.
Pay by phone: Customers can pay your Central Hudson bill by phone by calling 1-888-527-2714. Acceptable forms of payment include credit card and debit card. There is a convenience fee associated with paying your Central Hudson bill by phone.
Pay in person: Customers can pay your Central Hudson in person by searching the locations on the website. The service fees range from $0.75 to $1.25.
Pay by mail: Customers can pay your bill by mail by sending it to:
Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp.
284 South Avenue
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Central Hudson lists answers to commonly asked questions in the FAQs section of the website. If you have detailed questions about fees, you can contact customer service at 1-800-527-2714.
How the Penalty Fees Work
Central Hudson charges customers fees for late payments, reconnection of service and meter reading. A security deposit may be necessary, but this depends on the individual customer.
- Late payment charge– Central Hudson charges customers a late payment fee of 1.5% of the past due amount.
- Security deposit– The amount Central Hudson charges for a security deposit depends on the customer’s creditworthiness as well as the amount of time you need service. Customers needing temporary or seasonal service are charged a security deposit.
- Reconnection– In the event your service is disconnected, Central Hudson charges a fee of $20 to $40. If a service crew is required at your location, the fee increases to $140.
- Meter reading – Central Hudson has the right to charge customers a fee for reading the meter if they did not report the actual usage properly. The fee is approximately $100.
I Can’t Make a Payment
Central Hudson provides company-sponsored and state-funded assistance programs. The customer service representative we spoke to provided us with several options for customers that can’t pay your Central Hudson bill.
- Payment arrangements– Customers must call 1-800-527-2714 and speak to a customer service representative to arrange a payment plan that fits your budget. The typical down payment amount is 15%.
- Good Neighbor Fund– This service is administered by the Salvation Army. The program is for income-eligible customers and can’t exceed $750 per year.
- Powerful Opportunity Program– This service is designed to offer credits toward a customer’s bill when they pay their bill on time. The largest amount the credit reaches is $100.
- Payment extensions – Customers can extend your Central Hudson payment by calling 1-888-527-2714. You have the option to pay the full amount or split the amount into two payments.
When your finances are strapped and you feel there is nowhere else to turn, there is the LIHEAP Home Energy Assistance Program. LIHEAP provides monthly energy bill support for approved applicants.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Did Central Hudson give you excellent customer service when you needed them the most? We want to hear from customers just like you. Leave us a comment below.