What to Do When You Can’t Pay You Chugach Electric Bill
Chugach Electric is an Alaskan electric company started by residents who wanted to supply enough electric for all people living in Anchorage due to the World War II population boom. Today the company provides energy from Fairbanks to Anchorage and south.
How to Pay the Bill
Pay at the bank: Many local banks allow customers to make bill payments to Chugach Electric. First National Bank Alaska will accept direct payments for Chugach Electric even if you don’t have an account with the bank.
Pay at Walmart: Walmart stores in the Chugach coverage area will accept payments for a small fee. Customers need to bring a current billing statement to make payment at Walmart.
Pay by phone: Customers can call 1-907-762-7803 to make a payment by phone. The automated system is available 24 hours a day for payments. If you have received a disconnect notice, it is best to call the Credit Department at Chugach Electric to make direct payment. The number for the Credit Department is 1-907-563-5060. There is a $3.50 fee to make a payment by phone.
Pay online: You can pay your Chugach Electric bill online with an online account. Registration is free but there is a $3.50 fee to make your payment online at https://netpay.chugachelectric.com/index.cfm?fa=Login.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Chugach Electric reveals fee amounts in the Tariff document. There are also explanations for some service charges, including the fuel adjustment charge and regulatory charges on the Understanding Your Bill section of the website. For detailed fee information, customers can contact an agent at 1-907-563-7366.
How the Penalty Fees Work
- Membership fee: $5
- Connect fee: $20 during normal business hours; $69 after business hours; $363 for call-in connect
- Late payment fee: $3 plus 0.875% of the past due balance
- Field collection fee: $10
- Returned payment fee: $17 per payment
I Can’t Make a Payment
Chugach Electric offers two billing options to help consumers control their energy budget.
- LevelPay Billing: Chugach Electric will calculate the average yearly bill and divide that total by 12. This levels out the payments you make each month so there are no surprise bills. Customers must call 1-800-478-7494 to request LevelPay Billing.
- Summary Billing: Customers with more than one account can request the summary billing option. This options sends customers just one bill for multiple properties.
- Deferred Payment: Customers having difficulty making their Chugach Electric payment on-time can request the deferred payment option. One-third of the total balance due must be paid at the start of the payment agreement. The remaining balance is broken into payments for up to 12 months. The customer is responsible for making all current and future bills by the due date or the deferred payment arrangement is null and void.
Many Chugach Electric customers have no idea about the LIHEAP program. This program is open for low-income people who need help paying heating and cooling bills. You can learn how to qualify for energy assistance with LIHEAP today.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
We’d love to hear from members of the Chugach Electric cooperative about customer service and how they treat customers having difficulty making payments on-time.rson by searching the locations on the website. The service fees range from $0.75 to $1.25.