What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Dick’s Sporting Goods Bill
Dick’s Sporting Goods is one of the major big-box stores for sports equipment, and, like many retail stores, offers its own card so that customers who frequently shop there can earn rewards. For every dollar spent, consumers earn one point. When the point total hits 300, Dick’s will send a $10 rewards certificate in the mail, and any points above 300 roll over towards another $10 reward; however, points expire yearly on January 29, so make sure you use them before then. A 3% rate of reward isn’t bad if you compare it to some other rewards programs! Dick’s offers cards in several forms:
- The Dick’s Sporting Goods Rewards Card (not a credit card—it just tracks points)
- The Dick’s Sporting Goods Credit Card
- The Dick’s Sporting Goods MasterCard
All three cards offer the same rewards program previously described, all with no annual fees, but the MasterCard also offers one point for every $3 spent outside of Dick’s. Both of the credit cards are offered through GE Money, soon to be known as GE Capital.
How to Pay the Bill
There are several ways to pay a Dick’s credit card bill:
To pay your Dick’s Sporting Goods bill online visit https://www.reviewmyaccount.com/consumergen2/login.do?subActionId=1000&clientId=dicks&accountType=generic. You must register for online account access before paying your bill.
Pay By Mail
To pay by mail, send a check or money order and the payment coupon that came with your bill to the address given on your bill. If you lost your bill, call card services at 1-877-417-1324 to determine how much you owe. Then, send payment to this address, which should match the address given on your bill:
P.O. Box 960061
Orlando, FL 32896
Pay by Phone
Call 1-877-417-1324 to make a payment by phone. There will be a fee charged for your phone payment.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
There are two varieties of Dick’s Sporting Goods credit card – store card and MasterCard. Information on fees are available for each card type. To read about late payment fees and returned payment fees assessed on the Dick’s Sporting Goods card, visit the Store Card Terms and Conditions page. For fee information pertaining to MasterCard accounts, visit the MasterCard Terms and Conditions page. Card services representatives are available at 1-877-417-1324.
How the Penalty Fees Work
The Dick’s Sporting Goods Credit Card has an APR for purchases of the prime rate (3.25% as of September, 2011) plus 23.74%. In other words, if you carry a balance on your card, you will pay an annual total interest of 27% on that amount.
The Dick’s Sporting Goods MasterCard has the same rate for purchases and for balance transfers, but the actual interest charged will be at least $2, even if you only owe a penny. The MasterCard interest rate for cash advances is the prime rate plus 26.74%. Both cards carry a late fee of up to $35.
Make sure to pay your bill within 23 days of the close of the billing cycle (although the actual due date may be a few days later, this is the earliest it can be). The MasterCard is a more flexible card in that you can do more things with it, such as get cash advances, but it also carries more opportunities for fees. The balance transfer fee is the greater of either $10 or 4% of the amount transferred. The cash advance fee is the same. For foreign transactions, you will be charged 3% of the amount of the transaction.
Interest is charged every day based on the daily rate, which is a small rate based on the APR. If you paid interest every day for a year, you would end up paying: (balance owed)x(prime rate+APR). However, the interest is compounded daily, so you would actually pay even more than this. Additionally, you have to pay interest on fees.
I Can’t Make a Payment
When we called GE Money, there was a wait time of 10-15 minutes. They said that their payment department can help consumers who miss payments, but that their help programs depend upon the specific situation of each consumer. It sounded like the programs were basically payment plans.
Will They Work With Me To Pay My Bill?
Again, there are help programs, but they depend upon your situation. For information on your particular needs, call GE Money early on in your debt problem and try to get things straightened out quickly. If you have experience with indebtedness to GE Money, by all means share your thoughts with us! You could be key in helping someone else in a situation like the one you had.