What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your DTE Energy Bill
DTE Energy is a electric company exclusively serving Michigan, although the company holds properties throughout the United States. As of 2010, the company reported more than $8 billion in yearly revenues and $630 million in profit. DTE Energy employs more than 9,500 people and holds nearly $25 billion in assets.
How to Pay the Bill
DTE Energy offers four options for paying your DTE Energy bill online and offline. These options include:
Pay online: Online payments are available as one-time or recurring payments scheduled on a monthly basis. Customers can access the online payment options via https://www.dteenergy.com/cso/eBill/oneTimePayments/accountPaymentList.do?destinationMapping=makePayment. One-time payments can be scheduled up to 60 days before the bill is due. Payments received before 1:00 PM are applied the same day. After 1:00 PM, payments are noted on the following day’s statement.
Pay by phone: Customers can pay by phone through customer service at no charge. Maximum payment accepted by phone is $10,000. Customers call 1-800-477-4747 to make a phone payment to DTE Energy.
Pay by mail: Mail payments should be sent to:
PO Box 740786
Cincinnati, OH 45274-0786
Pay in person: Customers can make DTE Energy bill payments in person at authorized and unauthorized locations. Authorized locations present payment to DTE Energy within one to two business days and work directly with the company to process payments. Unauthorized payment locations like Western Union, Wal-Mart and your personal bank may also process and send payments to DTE Energy. Payments locations are available throughout the coverage area. Check the DTE Energy website for specific locations. The web address of the location finder is http://www.dteenergy.com/residentialCustomers/billingPayment/waysToPay/payLocation.html.
You can also set-up payment through your personal bank if your bank offers online bill pay.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Customers can view information about power supply charges and delivery charges on the Residential Electric Rates page of the DTE Energy website. Detailed information on fees is available from customer service at 1-800-477-4747.
How the Penalty Fees Work
DTE Energy charges a 2% late payment fee if energy bills are not paid on-time. This fee may be waived if the customer is on the BudgetWise program.
Other fees may include:
- Returned check fees
- Reconnection fee
These fee amounts are not listed on the DTE Energy website.
I Can’t Make a Payment
DTE Energy offers payment agreements, BudgetWise billing, pre-pay and reduced frequency billing.
- Payment agreements: Customers with an outstanding balance they cannot pay 100-percent, can sign up for a payment agreement. The agreement requires a down payment and customers must pay the remaining balance in smaller payments in addition to current DTE Energy charges.
- BudgetWise billing: The BudgetWise billing program evens out monthly energy bills be averaging total yearly energy expenses and splitting that average up into 12 yearly payments. The average is reviewed every 4 months to ensure the customer is not paying too much or too little.
- Pre-pay: Customers have the option to pre-pay energy bills. Customers with a SmartCurrents meter can pre-pay for energy before it is used. The pre-pay program keeps track of how much money the customer has credited and deducts energy costs from the pre-paid amount. The amount used and amount available is updated daily.
- Reduced frequency billing: If your energy bill is less than $30 a month, DTE Energy will enroll your account into the reduced frequency billing plan. The customer will not receive a bill until the total amount owed is more than $30.
- LIHEAP: Qualified low-income customers have the ability to apply for government assistance when you can’t pay your DTE Energy Bill. The number one question asked by customers is how to qualify for energy assistance with LIHEAP? You can either call customer service at 1-800-477-4747 or visit the Michigan LIHEAP website.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Do you have experience working with DTE Energy? Tell us how the company worked to help you pay your energy bill.