What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Duke Energy Bill
Duke Energy is an electric company and gas company providing safe, reliable, clean energy for more than four million customers. The company distributes electricity to the Carolina states and parts of the Midwest. Gas service is provided to customers in Kentucky and Ohio. Duke Energy is one of the largest utility companies in the United States.
How to Pay the Bill
Duke Energy offers multiple means of making a bill payment. Online services require registration before making payment or accessing your account online.
Pay online: You can pay your Duke Energy bill online in all states. Simply register for an account at https://www.duke-energy.com/registration.asp. You will be asked for the state where service is provided and the account number during registration.
Pay automatically: The automatic payment plan from Duke Energy requires the customer sign up online through a secure online form or print the automatic payment form and mail to the Duke Energy headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina.
PO Box 1046
Charlotte, NC 28201
Pay by mail: Customers can choose to mail payments directly to the Duke Energy headquarters. Duke Energy operates in multiple states. There may be separate payment addresses for each state.
PO Box 1327
Charlotte, NC 28201-1327
Pay by mail (overnight): Overnight payments need to be sent to a physical address.
10101 Claude Freeman Dr N-230
Charlotte, NC 28262
Pay by Billfloat: Billfloat will advance you a loan to pay your Duke Energy bill, and then you have 30 days to repay them.
Pay by Western Union: Western Union Speedpay is an alternative payment option for Duke Energy customers. There is a service fee of $3.50 charged at time of payment. This fee is not paid to Duke Energy. Customers must call 1-800-777-9898 to make payment or visit the Speedpay website. You must have you 10-digit account number to use the Speedpay service.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Customers do not always understand the charges and fees included on your monthly Duke Energy billing statement or account. If you need an explanation of charges such as late payment fees or security deposits, you should visit Duke Energy Customer Care Page. You will need to select your particular company since Duke Energy services multiple regions. For additional information regarding your Duke Energy billing statement or account, contact customer service at 1-800-521-2232.
How the Penalty Fees Work
Duke Energy will charge penalty fees if payment is not received by the due date listed on the bill.
- Late payment fee – There is a 3% fee added to your bill based on the past due amount. If a partial payment is made, the 3% fee will be charged based on the rollover past due amount.
- Security deposit – Duke Energy customers may be required to pay a security deposit when service is started. If this security deposit is waived, customers may still be charged a security deposit if they regularly miss payments or service is disconnected for non-payment.
I Can’t Make a Payment
If you find you cannot make payment by the due date, contact customer service immediately to prevent service interruption. The customer service phone number is 1-800-521-2232.
- Extended payment plan: Customers can request an extended payment plan if they are having temporary financial trouble. The payment plan allows customers to break down past due balances into smaller payments. Customers will be responsible for current charges in addition to payment plan payments.
- Medical certification: If you have a medical condition that requires electric or gas service, contact Duke Energy. Your physician can fill out a medical certification form that delays service disconnection for up to 10 days.
- LIHEAP: LIHEAP is a federal program that helps low-income individuals and families pay heating and cooling bills. You can learn how to qualify for energy assistance with LIHEAP and banish stressful energy bills for at least one year.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Did Duke Energy work with you to resolve a past due bill? Let us know how the company helped you.