What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your IPL Bill
IPL stands for Indianapolis Power and Light Company. The electric company supplies power to more than 450,000 people in and around the Indianapolis area and other parts of central Indiana. Customers can perform various functions online, including:
- Starting Service
- Stopping Service
- Paying Bills
How to Pay a Bill
Pay online: You can pay your IPL bill online at https://custapps2.iplpower.com/. You must first register for an account before making payment. Online payments take two days to process, so you must make payment at least two days early to ensure on-time credit. This is especially important if you are making payment for a payment arrangement. If the payment is received late and your balance is on a payment plan, you will default on your plan.
Pay by credit/debit card: Call Bill Matrix at 1-800-672-2407 to make a credit or debit card payment by phone. There is a $3.95 fee for each transaction. Payments take two days to post to your IPL account.
Pay by automatic deduction: Automatic payments are available from your online account. These payments are deducted each month on the due date. If there is a problem with payment, you may be charged a returned payment fee.
Pay by phone (bank account): ExpressPay is a service that processes payments from your bank account. You need to sign up for the service one time, then you can use the PIN provided at signup for future phone payments.
Pay by mail: Personal check or money order payments should be sent to:
Indianapolis Power and Light Company
PO Box 110
Indianapolis, IN 46206
Pay in person: Customer service payments are accepted at 2102 N. Illinois St. from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Have you received your IPL billing statement or account and still had questions regarding the charges or fees? If this is the case, we suggest you visit the IPL Customer Resource page. You can receive additional information about your IPL billling statement or account when you call customer service at 1-888-261-8222.
How the Penalty Fees Work
- Late payment fee: IPL charges 10% of the first $3 and 3% of any additional monies owed as a late payment fee.
I Can’t Make a Payment
- Budget billing: The budget billing plan offered by IPL bills the customer 11 equal payments based on previous annual usage. On the 12th month, the customer must bring the account to current before starting a new budget billing cycle.
- Choose a due date: Some customers get paid on the same days each month. IPL allows customers to choose a due date to help match due date with income and budget.
- Payment extensions: Long and short-term extensions are available to IPL customers having financial troubles. Customers can request an extension from their online account or contact customer service at 1-888-261-8222 for information on payment extensions.
- Payment arrangements: If you have a past due bill or you know you’ll be unable to make full payment on-time, contact customer service for a payment arrangement. Customers must make payments on-time each month to maintain the payment arrangement.
- LIHEAP: If you are having trouble paying your IPL bill and you meet the low-income guidelines you may be eligible for the LIHEAP Home Energy Assistance Program.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Did IPL work with you to resolve your past due account balance? Tell us how the company worked around your financial hardship.