What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your LIPA Bill
As the primary source of electricity for Long Island, New York and the surrounding area, LIPA proudly services thousands with a continued commitment to low-cost initiatives and customer service. The electric company is expanding its reach into more sustainable and green energy alternative such as solar energy.
How to Pay the Bill
LIPA offers several methods for customers to pay your bill, whether online, in person or by mail.
Pay online: Customers can pay your LIPA bill online by visiting https://www.liaccount.com/login/LoginActivate?applicurl=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGlhY2NvdW50LmNvbS9lc2VydmljZV9lbnU=&auth_method=0. Customers must log onto your account in order to complete the online transaction. Acceptable methods of payment include credit cards and debit cards.
Automatic payment: Customers can pay your LIPA bill through the bank via automatic deductions. The funds go directly to your LIPA account on the scheduled date.
Pay in person: Customers can pay your LIPA bill in person by visiting one of 10 locations on Long Island. LIPA provides the list of locations on the website.
Alternative pay stations: Customers can pay your LIPA bill at third-party pay stations. LIPA provides the complete list on the website. Third-party locations may add a convenience fee to your payment.
Pay by phone: Customers can pay your LIPA bill by calling customers service at 1-800-490-0025 during regular business hours.
Pay by mail: Customers can pay your LIPA bill by mailing payments to:
LIPA Customers Relations
P.O. Box 888
Hicksville, NY 11802-9656
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Have you noticed late payment fees, connection or reconnection fees and one-time security deposits added to your LIPA billing statement or account that you do not understand? If you have seen these fees, we suggest you visit the LIPA FAQs for a detailed description. For additional information regarding your LIPA bill, contact customer service at 1-800-490-0025.
How the Penalty Fees Work
When we spoke to the customer service representative at LIPA, they were helpful when we asked about fees for service. The fees include late payment fees, security deposits, returned check fees and payment arrangement fees. Additional charges include connection and reconnection charges.
- Late payment – When you pay your LIPA bill past the grace period, LIPA charges you a fee of 1.5% of the past due amount. The fee is waived when you are under a deferred payment plan of making payments to the Department of Social Services.
- Reconnection – When LIPA terminates your service, they charge customers a fee of $80 to reconnect service. The fee is assessed when you request termination and connection within one calendar year.
- Payment arrangements – Customers following the terms and conditions of a payment arrangement are subject to security deposit. The specific amount was not disclosed to us.
- Security deposit – LIPA charges a security deposit based upon your credit history and creditworthiness.
I Can’t Make a Payment
LIPA offers several programs designed to assist customers that can’t pay your bill. Select programs are funded by customer donations and other programs receive funds from the federal government.
- LIHEAP – The LIHEAP Home Energy Assistance Program is open to all qualified applicants. The program offers financial support for LIPA customers having trouble meeting energy costs if they meet income guidelines.
- HEAP – The Home Energy Assistance Program is funded by the federal government and provides energy assistance to qualified low-income customers.
- Household Assistance Rate – Qualified low-income customers of LIPA receive a reduced rate on your energy bill.
- Project Warmth – This program provides emergency assistance to qualified low-income customers.
- REAP – Residential Energy Assistance Affordability Program provides information to qualified low-income customers on ways you reduce energy consumption, thus reducing your LIPA bill.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
What was your experience dealing with LIPA? Leave a comment below so fellow customers can benefit from your experiences.