What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your New Jersey American Water Bill
New Jersey American Water services more than 2.5 million customers in New Jersey. The water company commits itself to providing a high quality product as well as best in class service to all customers. New Jersey American Water follows all applicable laws and standards set forth by the state and Federal government.
How to Pay the Bill
Pay online: Customers can pay your New Jersey American Water bill online by visiting https://wss.amwater.com/selfservice-web/ss_login2.do.
Pay by mail: Customers can send your New Jersey American Water bill to:
New Jersey American Water
P.O. Box 371331
Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7331
Attn: Lockbox 371331
500 Ross St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15251
Pay by phone: Customers can pay your New Jersey American Water bill by calling 1-866-271-5522. Each transaction incurs a convenience fee.
Pay in person: Customers can pay your New Jersey American Water bill in person by visiting the locations provided on the website.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
If you have questions about charges on your New Jersey American Water bill, such as reconnection fees, service fees, insufficient funds fees and late payment fees, that you do not fully understand, we suggest you visit the New Jersey American Water FAQs. For additional information regarding your billing statement or account, you should contact customer service at 1-866-271-5522.
How the Penalty Fees Work
When we spoke to customer service and asked for details regarding fess. They explained the fees assessed to customers include, reconnection fees, service calls, insufficient fund fees and late payment fees. Customer service explained that customers will incur a security deposit if they have a below standard credit history.
- Reconnection fee – New Jersey American Water charges customers a fee for reconnecting service. The fee is $28 per instance. The fee increases to $100 when services are reconnected on Federal holidays.
- Emergency calls – When customers require service after normal business hours, New Jersey American Water charges $100.
- Insufficient funds – When a customer’s payment is returned for insufficient funds, New Jersey American Water charges $15.
- Late payment – New Jersey American Water charges a fee when bills are not paid within a 25 day window. The company did not disclose the amount of the fees.
I Can’t Make a Payment
New Jersey American Water provides services and additional resources for customers that can’t pay your bill. The program provided by the company is the H2O Help to Others Program. The service is funded by customers through monthly donations. The additional services are sponsored by the State of New Jersey.
- Payment arrangements – New Jersey American Water provides alternative payment arrangements for customers that can’t pay your bill. Call 1-866-271-5522 and speak to a customer service representative to apply for the service. Upon qualification, you must adhere to the details of the agreement and pay a minimum of 25% of your past due balance.
- H2O Help to Others – This program is designed for low-income customers of New Jersey American Water. Qualified applicants receive up to $500 in assistance to pay your bill or a reduction in your monthly bill. The reduction is equivalent to 100% of your bill.
- Additional services – The New Jersey Bureau of Public Utilities offers additional measures to assist low income customers reduce their water bill. The services include water audits, retro-fit water kits and in-home leak repair worth approximately $300.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Was your experience dealing with New Jersey American Water positive or negative? Did they assist you pay your bill? Share your thoughts in the event other New Jersey American Water customers need assistance paying their bill.