What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Penelec Bill
Penelec is a Pennsylvania electric company operating under the FirstEnergy Company guidance. Customers can register for an online account to view current bills and bill history, make payments and make changes to an electric account. Pennsylvania is known for four beautiful seasons, but that also means temperatures vary widely causing spikes in energy bills.
How to Pay the Bill
Pay online via eAccount: You can register for online account access and an eBill through the Penelec website. Customers will no longer receive standard paper bills in the mail. Requires a valid email address. You can pay your Penelec bill online at https://www.firstenergycorp.com/log_in.html using a debit card, credit card or checking account.
Pay by phone: Penelec offers an automated phone system for payments. Customers call 1-866-569-4770 to make a payment. The service is available 24 hours a day and accepts credit card and debit card payments. You will need your account number and the credit card / debit card to make payment. You cannot make payment with only the credit card number; you need the security code on the back of the card.
Pay in person: Authorized payment locations are available in all service areas. It is best to search for the nearest payment location using your zip code.
Pay by mail: Penelec customers can mail personal check or money order payments to:
PO Box 3687
Akron, OH 44309-3687
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Have you had questions about your Penelec billing statement or account and didn’t know where to locate the correct answer or a detailed explanation? We suggest you visit the Penelec FAQs. For additional information, you can contact customer service at 1-866-569-4770.
How the Penalty Fees Work
As if financial troubles were not enough, some companies charge penalty fees on top of past due bills. Penelec charges penalty fees.
- Reconnect fees (normal business hours): $32
- Reconnect fees (extended business hours): $44
- Reconnect fees (after business hours): $83
Penelec may also charge a returned check fee, late payment fee and collection trip fee.
I Can’t Make a Payment
If you can’t make your Penelec payments, call the company immediately. The customer service phone number for Penelec is 1-866-569-4770.
- Extended due date: Customers receiving monthly income, typically from state and federal sources, may qualify for an extended due date. Meters are read at the same time each month, but the customer is given more time to pay due to inflexible income.
- Extended payment plan: When times are tough, Penelec will work with you to make your payments smaller. Breaking up your past due bill into smaller payments is a great choice to resolve an overdue balance, but remember your current charges must be paid in addition to the payment plan amount.
- Federal income-based programs: The LIHEAP Home Energy Assistance Program is a federal program helping Penelex customers pay energy bills if Penelec services are used to heat or cool the home.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Penelec is a FirstEnergy company. FirstEnergy is known for offering various payment assistance options to customers, but customer reviews are not all that flattering. Give us the inside scoop on Penelec. Did they work to help you overcome a past due balance?