What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Salem Electric Bill
Salem Electric is electricity cooperative founded in 1938. The electric company currently services more than 18,544 customers in area surrounding Salem, Oregon. Since the beginning of the company, Salem Electric has operated on five basic principles:
- Reliable service
- Excellent customer relations
- Financial integrity
- Low rates
- Excellent employee relations
How to Pay the Bill
Salem Electric provides several options for customers to pay your bill including online payment, automatic deduction, mail payment, in-person payment and pay at drop-boxes.
Pay online: Customers can pay your Salem Electric bill online by visiting https://ebill.salemelectric.com/css/logon.do. The service is free. You can make payments with your credit card, debit card or with an electronic check.
Automatic deduction: Customers can pay your Salem Electric bill by having the funds automatically deducted from your checking or savings account. Automatic deduction payments do not incur a convenience fee.
Pay by mail: Customers can pay your Salem Electric bill by mailing payments to:
P.O. Box 5588
Salem, OR 97304-0055
Pay in person: Customers can pay your Salem Electric bill by visiting:
633 Seventh Street NW
Salem, OR 97304-0055
Drop-box: Customers can drop your Salem Electric bill payment off at the following locations:
- Roth’s (West Salem)
- Roth’s (Kelzer)
- Salemtowne (West Salem)
- Salem Senior Center (Northeast)
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
When you receive your Salem Electric billing or account information, do you understand all of the service charges or fees, including, security deposits, late payment charges or connection fees? If you need further explanation, we recommend you visit Salem Electric Membership Guide. You can also find out additional information about your Salem Electric billing statement or account by calling customer service at 503-362-3601.
How the Penalty Fees Work
On a monthly or one-time basis, Salem Electric charges you service charges or fees. The fees include:
- Termination – You pay a fee equal to 10% of the past due amount or $10, which ever amount is greater.
- Security deposit – The security deposit charged by Salem Electric is equal to one month’s worth of service.
- Returned check – Salem Electric charges a $20 fee for returned checks.
I Can’t Make a Payment
If you are having financial difficulty, Salem Electric provides several options if you can’t pay your bill. The services include:
- LIHEAP – This federally-funded program is available to qualified low-income customers. A common question is how to qualify for energy assistance with LIHEAP. You will need to apply at your local Department of Social Service or contact customer service at 503-362-3601.
- Heating bill assistance – This service is available to low-income customers that meet certain household income guidelines. Assistance is available from January to April.
- Salvation Army – The Salvation Army assists customers with heating costs through the Dollar check-off program. Customers donate a dollar each time you make a Salem Electric bill payment. This amount is added to a fund to help customers pay your bill.
- Payment arrangement – Customers are eligible to place you past due Salem Electric bill on a payment plan. You must call customer service at 503-362-3601 prior to receiving a termination notice.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
What was your experience dealing with Salem Electric? Did the company help you pay your bill? We want to hear from customers just like you. Leave us a comment below.