What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your San Diego Water Bill
The San Diego Water company is run by the city of San Diego. The water company is constantly trying to reduce waste with:
- Permanent water waste restrictions
- Waste No Water film contests
- Waste No Water events
How to Pay the Bill
San Diego Water offers several options for making your water bill payment.
Pay online: You can pay your San Diego Water bill online via https://customer.sandiego.gov/bdisu/public/frameset_top_html.jsp. There is an old system and a new system. If you have already registered for the old system, you can log-in and make payment through iPay. New customers must register for access to the Public Utilities Customer Portal before making online payment.
Pay by mail: San Diego Water customers can send check and money order payments to:
City of San Diego Public Utilities Department
Customer Care Center
PO Box 129020
San Diego, CA 92112-9020
Pay in-person: In-person payments are accepted at the Public Utilities Department:
- Civic Center Plaza Building at 1200 3rd Ave in San Diego from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday
Pay in-person (Cash Plus): Cash Plus payments are accepted at:
- 5971 University Ave from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Pay in-person (USA Checks Cashed): USA Checks Cashed payments are accepted at:
- 1607 Garnet Ave in San Diego from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 5071 Federal Blvd in San Diego from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 4298 University Ave in San Diego from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- 936 Highland Ave in National City from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- 1610 Highland Ave in National City from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 201 Broadway in Chula Vista from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- 521 Sweetwater Rd in Spring Valley from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
The San Diego County Water Authority attempts to answer customer questions about rates, billing and fees on the Water Rates FAQs page. Customer service is available to answer questions about your bill at 1-858-522-6600.
How the Penalty Fees Work
- Security deposit: Most new customer accounts require a security deposit paid to the city of San Diego before water service is started. The deposit amount is based on previous usage at the address where service is started. If you are transferring service from one San Diego Water location to another and have 12 months of positive payments, security deposits may be waived.
- Returned check fee: $25 per returned check.
- Non-payment fee: $30 per instance.
- Restoration of service after disconnection: $25 per instance.
I Can’t Make a Payment
- Extensions: Extensions are granted by the San Diego Water customer service department if there is a health condition or water is required for other safety reasons. Call customer service at 1-619-515-3500 for information on extensions.
- Deferred payments: Payments can be deferred for up to 12 months via customer service. If payments are not made in full by the 12th month, the account may be placed in collection with the city treasurer.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Do you have experience with San Diego Water? Tell us how the company worked with your past due bill.