What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your SLEMCO Bill
SLEMCO, Southwest Louisiana Electric Membership Corporation, is an electric company established in 1937. The company services more than 96,924 customers in Vermilion, St. Martin, St. Landry, Lafayette, Iberia, Evangeline, Avoyelles and Acadia. SLEMCO is committed to the community by offering scholarships as well as assistance programs for low-income customers.
How to Pay the Bill
Automatic deduction: Customers can pay your SLEMCO bill by having the funds deducted monthly through your checking account, savings account, credit card or debit card. Call 1-337-896-5200 to receive an authorization agreement.
Pay by mail: Customers can send your SLEMCO payment to:
P.O. Box 90866
Lafayette, LA 70509
Pay in person: Customers can pay your SLEMCO bill in person by visiting:
3420 NE Evangeline Thruway
Lafayette, LA 70507
Pay by phone: Customers can pay your SLEMCO bill by calling customer service at 1-337-896-5384.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
When you receive your monthly SLEMCO bill, do you notice fees such as service charges or connection fees that were not present the month prior? For a complete list of service charges and fees, we suggest you visit the SLEMCO FAQs. If you still notice fees that are not disclosed on the customer resource page, you should contact customer service at 1-337-896-5200.
How the Penalty Fees Work
When we spoke to customer service, they did not assist us when we asked about applicable fees. They only fee we noticed was a fee for a service provided by a technician. SLEMCO charged $50 for the first visit and $15 for subsequent visits.
I Can’t Make a Payment
SLEMCO provides assistance programs designed to help customers that can’t pay your bill. Several of the options are sponsored by SLEMCO, while others are sponsored by the State of Louisiana.
- Budget Billing – SLEMCO customers that have not missed a payment within the past 12 months is eligible for this program. The amount of your SLEMCO bill for the past 11 months is divided by 12, resulting in your new payment amount.
- Payment arrangements – Customers must call 1-337-896-5200 and speak to a customer service representative to arrange alternative payment. Not following the payment arrangement voids the contract.
- Energy Bill Deferment – This service is in response to the Louisiana Emergency Relief Act. Qualified customers have the ability to defer a portion of your SLEMCO bill. The requirements include the elderly over 65 years old with poverty level household income, households that receive TANF, households with SSI being the only source of income and households with members on life-sustaining machines.
- Lights-on – This service assists qualified low-income customers. Upon acceptance into this program, customers are eligible to receive assistance up to $100. Assistance is available to customers once per year.
- LIHEAP – Customers heating or cooling the home with electricity may qualify for the LIHEAP program. Learn how to qualify for energy assistance with LIHEAP.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Did SLEMCO help you when you needed help the most? Did SLEMCO stand behind its commitment to the community and help you pay your bill? Share your thoughts and leave us comment below.