What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Unitil Bill
Unitil is an electric company serving Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Customers may also use Unitil as a gas company, depending on the service location.
How to Pay the Bill
Direct pay: The direct pay option is for customers who want to “set it and forget it.” Payments are debited from a bank account each month on the due date. The payments are processed automatically so customers may have to call well in advance of the next payment to cancel the service.
Phone payment: Phone payments are accepted at 1-888-301-7700. Only Visa and Mastercard payments are accepted so customers wishing to pay with an electronic check must choose another option.
Mail payments: Payments must be mailed to the following location:
Unitil Gas Operations
1075 Forest Ave.
Portland, ME 04103
Payment centers: Payment locations are available in Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Customers can visit Unitil.com and choose the appropriate state from the drop-down menu at the top of the page. Click Manage My Account then click Ways to Pay. The list of local payment centers will be listed about half way down the page.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
The Unitil FAQs page offers information on connection fees, late payment fees and returned check fees. You can call customer service at 1-888-301-7700 for additional information regarding your billing statement or account.
How the Penalty Fees Work
Due to the fact that Unitil is available in multiple states, some fees and rates may vary.
- Late payment charge: The late payment charge for Unitil is equivalent to the average rate of interest on a US Treasury Note during the previous two years plus 10%.
- Returned check fee: Unitil will charge customers $15 per returned check or returned payment.
- Account restoration: If your account is disconnected for non-payment, you will pay a $15 restoration fee.
I Can’t Make a Payment
As is the case with most energy companies, Unitil offers a variety of options for customers who want to retain energy services when money is tight.
- LIHEAP – Low-income program supporting residents in some states with federal financial help paying energy bills. Learn how to qualify for energy assistance with LIHEAP.
- Discount rate – Unitil offers a discounted rate for qualified customers. Contact customer service for more information on the reduced rate and application process.
- Payment plan – Break a past due balance into smaller, more affordable payments.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Unitil lists information for company, local, state and federal aid, but they cannot help a customer with a past due account if the customer does not call the service department. Contact customer service at 1-888-301-7700 to make payment arrangements or to find out more about programs available from Unitil.