What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Washington Gas Bill
Washington Gas, a gas company, has been distributing natural gas to residents and businesses in Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia for more than 150 years. According to Washington Gas, about 9 in 10 new home owners choose natural gas over electric.
How to Pay Your Bill
Pay online: You can pay your Washington Gas bill online through the eService Center. There is a $4.55 fee added to the payment if made by credit or debit card. Payments can be made via https://eservice.washgas.com/.
Pay by credit or debit card: Credit and debit card payments can be made through the online eService Center or by calling 1-703-750-7944. A maximum payment of $500 is allowed per transaction.
Pay by phone: Phone payments are made through customer service at 1-703-750-7944 24 hours a day. The fee for this service is $4.55.
Payment locations (in-person): In-person payments can be made at one of four locations.
- Washington Gas Main Office – 101 Constitution Ave NW in Washington DC from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Washington Gas Anacostia Office – 3101 Martin Luther King Jr Ave SE in Washington DC from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Frederick Maryland Office – 1800 N Market St in Frederick, Maryland from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Shenandoah Virginia Office – 350 Hillandale Ln in Winchester, Virginia from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Pay by mail: Customers should address payments to:
PO Box 37747
Philadelphia, PA 19101-5047
Global Express payments: Global Express payment locations are available throughout Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia.
Automated payment plan: Customers can sign up for automatic payments via their online account. This service is not currently available to Shenandoah customers.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
For more information on fees assessed by Washington Gas, customer must choose their service area on the Tariffs/Rate Schedule page. Customer service is available at 1-800-752-7520 for rate information.
How the Penalty Fees Work
No penalty fees are discussed on the Washington Gas website. Typically, utility companies will charge:
- Late payment fees
- Security deposits
- Reconnection fees
- Returned check fees
I Can’t Make a Payment
- Payment arrangements: The payment arrangement plan through Washington Gas is a three-payment system. Customers can sign up for payment arrangements through their online account or by calling customer service at 1-703-750-7944.
- Payment extension: Customer service may extend your due date up to 20 days if you cannot make payment on-time.
- Budget billing: Budget billing allows Washington Gas customers to make even payments throughout the year. The total bill is based on an average of the previous 12 months. The average will be recalculated throughout the year in Maryland and Virginia. Budget amounts change once every 12 months in the District of Columbia.
- Third party billing: Third-party billing allows Washington Gas to send a bill to a third-party you’ve listed in your account. The third-party has the option to make payment on the bill to prevent disconnection, but that third-party is not obligated to make payment.
- LIHEAP home energy assistance program: This program is available for qualified low-income customers. The funds are available once per year and are used to pay your past due or current heating or cooling bills. Funds are limited, so we suggest you apply for assistance early.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Did you have an experience with Washington Gas you’d like to share? We are all ears!